LOS ANGELES AQUEDUCT FILTRATION PLANT ULTRAVIOLET DISINFECTION FACILITY
CITY OF LOS ANGELES DEPARTMENT OF WATER AND POWER
NEW ULTRAVIOLET DISINFECTION FACILITY
Beyaz & Patel provided structural preliminary and final design services for the $60 million Los Angeles Aqueduct Filtration Plant Ultraviolet Disinfection Facility at the Los Angeles Aqueduct Filtration Plant (LAAFP) in Sylmar, California.
The UV facility provides an advanced level of protection to the LADWP’s treatment process and complies with new water quality regulations established by the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
The new facility protects against microbial contaminants, such as giardia and cryptosporidium, naturally occurring in surface water sources and reduces chemical treatments, such as ozone and chlorine.
Beyaz & Patel, as a subconsultant to Arcadis, designed the following project components:
- Large partly below-grade ultraviolet building;
- inlet channel and transitions;
- outlet channel and transitions;
- large diameter pipe supports;
- concrete pipe encasements; and
- thrust restraints and equipment anchorage.
CONSTRUCTION PHASE SUPPORT
Beyaz & Patel also provided construction support services, including contractor’s submittals, shop drawings, change order reviews, site inspections, and helping to resolve on-site issues.
- Reduced greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions
- Reduced operating and maintenance costs
- Improved work environment